The word video analytics seems to be very complicated and unheard of. But it is quickly emerging as a highly intelligent software across the world. The use of video analytics is expanded to safety and security, public transport, crowd management, crime management and more. This concept is quickly picking up pace in becoming a booming business across the world.
What is Video Analytics?
In simple terms video analytics is a software that monitors video in real time or near real time. While monitoring it analyzes behavior, patterns and events. It also identifies the environment or person involved. The industry that uses the most is forensics. These video analytics applications creates automatic alerts in changing behavioral patterns. While analyzing a criminal situation it can bring out harmful characteristics and patterns of criminals. This software comes in when human intelligence stops. The data collected from these applications can help a person to make better investigation and also shed light on new insights. In the traffic industry too, it can promote co-ordination of traffic across the streets and curb on waiting time. In the US, video analytics are used to monitor vehicles that have violated traffic laws or criminals on the run. This software also records real time data and can be used later on in an investigation.
Where are Video Analytics Applications Used?
Video analytics is used in a number of fields. It has proven to be quite effective and fruitful in all projects so far:
- In the law enforcement industry – video analytics as discussed before analyses criminal patterns and behaviors and also triggers further probable behavior that a criminal can take. It also helps in lie detector analysis, interview processes and identifying potential leads in an investigation.Video analytics surveillance are also used as evidence in most cases.
- Forensic Industry – the medical examiner in the forensic industry uses video analytics applications to re-construct the bodily structures of a victim.
- Transportation industry – video analytics is used to monitor traffic movements. It provides better co-ordination of traffic across various streets and shows better techniques for traffic management during rush hours.
- Film Industry – film industry uses this software in making 3D films or fantasy movies. Films like Jurassic Park and Avatar used video analytics to analyze dinosaur movements and behavior to make the film more realistic.
- General Surveillance – this software is also used as a surveillance software in places like banks, government offices, shopping malls, retail stores and more. They are also used in detecting suspicious activity like shoplifting, stealing official information and more.
- Casino Industry – casinos across the world uses video analytics to determine the wins and losses that an individual undergoes. It monitors a person’s heart rate, expressions and determines if it’s a genuine win or a manipulated one.
Recently researches are also looking for ways in which video analytics can be used in climate control. Detecting natural disasters, predicting storms, earthquakes, tsunamis can save lives and prevent damage level to about 35%. This can be a booming industry if applied at the right places!