Working out in the comfort of your home can be too good. You don’t have to go here and there, no need to waste time while going to the gym when you can lose weight at home. There are various ways for weight loss, which is by exercise, diet and also with the help of weight loss surgery. Weight loss surgery is the last option or it can be the first one, depends on how soon you want to lose weight. It could be a little tricky to work-out at home. Why? Because you need to know about the right cardio exercises for weight loss.
What is cardio exercise?
Cardio exercise in simple terms is an aerobic exercise that will up the tempo of your heart, but intensity can vary depending on stamina. Cardio activity gets our heart rate up to pump more oxygen all around the body. Cardio helps with weight loss as it makes our muscles efficient at consuming the available oxygen. So, as we become fitter our muscles burn fuel more easily and we can exercise for longer.
Below are some of the cardio exercises to do at home. You can try these exercises in the morning and you will feel energized throughout the day.
- Jumping jacks: The muscles involved in this exercise are quads, calves, core, hamstrings, shoulders, and lats. Stand with your feet close together and arms should be on your sides, in one motion, jump your feet out to sides and raise your arms above your head, immediately reverse the motion back to the starting position.
- Burpees: The muscles which are involved in this exercise are chest, triceps, glutes, quads, core, hamstrings. Begin with a standing position, then squat and place your hands on the floor outside by your feet, keeping your hands planted, jump your feet and land with straight legs, now lower your chest until it touches the floor with your elbows tight to your body, keep your hands on the floor and use your hips to pop your feet back into a squat position.
- Mountain climbers: The muscles involved in this exercise are chest, core, triceps, glutes, quads, and shoulders. Place your hands on the floor, with your hips lifted and extend your legs keeping your feet together and your toes curled under. Try to keep your body in a straight line, keep your left foot straight out behind and pull your right knee in towards your chest. Do this same with your left knee.
- Knee tucks: The muscles involved are hip flexors, quads, glutes, and core. Stand with your feet hip-width apart, jump up and tuck both knees your body and try to get your knees as high as possible. Land softly and perform the next jump.
- Skaters: The muscles which are involved in this exercise are hamstrings, glutes, calves, and core. Start with your feet wider than shoulder-width apart, jump sideways to the left, landing on your left leg while keeping your right leg raised off the floor and passed your left led. Reverse the movement and jump to the right.
- Squats: The muscles involved are calves, glutes, quads, hamstrings, and core. Stand straight with your shoulders above hips, feet hip-width apart, toes turned out slightly. Quickly drop your hips back and down below parallel with your knees being behind and hips and ankle in a line. Drive your weight into your heels to jump up to the center and come back to the starting position.
Try this simple cardio workout at home
Combine the previous exercises and turn them into an easy to do the routine. Do 4 rounds of the following back to back:
- 20 jumping jacks
- 20 skaters
- 10 squats
- 10 mountain climbers
- 10 jumps
- 5 burpees
These are some cardio exercises which will help you to lose weight. Try these exercises at home or if you are short on time or looking to lose weight quickly, then you can opt for weight loss surgery.
author name: Dr. Pankaj Sareen
author bio: Specialist in Laser Proctology(Piles, Fissure and Fistula) and Varicose Veins